ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH
 19 Forest Road
 Ferntree Gully, Victoria Australia

 

 

Home arrow History
History PDF Print E-mail

CarvingThe beginnings of St. John the Baptist Parish, Ferntree Gully, occurred as an outreach from St. Kilda. A case of from St. Kilda to the country: giving way to the establishment of the parish in 1911. The parish of Ferntree Gully could be described as the ‘mother’ parish of the Knox Deanery. Again and again the history of Ferntree Gully parish involved a letting go as some communities grew larger and developed into parishes themselves.

Today, when one looks at a map it is as though the Ferntree Gully parish lies in the heart of the Knox deanery surrounded by Belgrave, Boronia, Bayswater, Wantirna, Scoresby, and Rowville. Some can still recall the priest returning on horseback from the outlying community centres, jumping the church gate.

The open fields, the market gardening areas have almost disappeared. As a parish community, St. John’s was greatly added to by a significant number of Italian families and also those from the Netherlands.

St. John’s, today, has one church and one primary school, with pastoral and educational links to St. Joseph’s Secondary College for boys, nearby in Ferntree Gully, and Mater Christi College for girls, in Belgrave

 
© 2017 St John the Baptist Catholic Parish - Ferntree Gully
TLA Software! Do 3 things at once.